Perkins Thompson

Maine Center for Elder Law Blog

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Attention Parents of Young Adults: Yes, You!

Maine Center for Elder Law attorney Barbara Schlichtman says "if you are over 18 and you have a checking account or a bike, you have assets and that means you have an estate." We don't often think of young adults as needing "estate" planning, but there are basic legal documents they (and everyone) should have: an Advance Health Care Directive, HIPAA authorization, and Durable Power of Attorney.

ATTENTION PARENTS! Did you know once your child turns 18, you no longer have automatic access to:

  • your child's health records;
  • your child's medical condition; and
  • your child's education records (without a FERPA waiver)?

Accidents and illnesses can happen to anyone at any age. And while you probably still have your young adult on your health insurance policy, once your children are legal adults you don't have the same control or access as you once had.

We are pleased to introduce our Young Adult Package, providing the must-have documents for your young adult. The package includes an initial meeting, document preparation, and a second meeting to sign the documents.

For more information on the details of this package, please click here. If your college-age child is home on break, why not call us at 207-467-3301 to schedule an appointment, and give yourself the gift of peace of mind?




The Maine Center for Elder Law is a practice of Perkins Thompson, P.A. The Center assists clients with Medicaid (MaineCare) Planning, Special Needs Planning, Estate Planning, and Probate, Estate & Trust Administration matters in York County, Cumberland County and nearby Maine counties.

© 2024 Maine Center for Elder Law, a Practice of Perkins Thompson, PA | Disclaimer
Medicaid (MaineCare) Planning | Special Needs Planning | Estate Planning | Probate, Estate & Trust Administration | | Resources | About Us | Contact Us | Pay Online